What are “Digital wallets”?
“Digital wallets” or “mobile wallets” or “e wallets” are the online service or software program that facilitates users to make payments via their smartphones.
In simple terms, Digital wallet is the virtual mobile – based wallet which can be used to make online, offline payments & receive money as well.
Users can easily access these mobile based Digital wallets from google play store or apple store.
What is “UPI”?
“UPI” or “Unified Payments Interface” is an instant real payment system in India, which was developed and launched by NPCI (National payment corporation of India), in 2016.
UPI is basically used on mobile devices/smartphones to instantly transfer funds between two bank accounts.
The UPI ID of the recipients can be used to transfer money.
As of October’22, 365 banks were available on the platform with a monthly volume of 7.3 billion transactions worth INR 12.11 Lakh Crores.
#1. Phone Pe
- Download PhonePe app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 4.4
The #First in the list of top digital wallets & UPI apps in India is Phone pe app.
Founded in 2015, PhonePe allows you to use BHIM UPI, your credit card / debit card or wallet etc. for making payments.
The app allows you to recharge your mobile phones, pay your utility bills, and make instant payments at online/offline stores.
You can even invest in mutual funds and buy mutual funds through the Phone pe UPI payment app.
- Instant payments at offline and online stores.
- Manage and track funds from shopping websites
- Buy phonepe gift cards for easy payments across 1lakh+ leading offline and online outlets.
- App is available in 11 languages.
#2. Google Pay
- Download Google Pay app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 4.0
Formerly known by the name of Tez, Google Pay is one of the best digital wallets & UPI payments apps in India.
According to Wikipedia, within 37 days after being lauched, the platform got about 8.5 million downloads.
With the help of google pay, you can easily pay with your phone wherever the contactless payments are accepted.
The best part is that with Google on the other side, you know the platform is fully secure and safe to use.
- Easy access to all your transactions with a simple search.
- See the total balance and weekly summaries of an account all at one place
- Receive cashback money straight in your google play balance to use it instantly
- Get twice the rewards when you redeem using a cashback credit card.
- Create a group to send and receive money for things like dinner bills, trips, rent etc.
#3. Paytm App
- Download Paytm app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 4.5
Founded in 2010, Paytm is another leading digital wallets and upi apps in India.
Paytm app facilitates users a bank to bank transfer via BHIM UPI and also enables them to instantly pay at online & offline stores.
With the help of the app, you can easily pay utilities bill payments – electricity, water, Gas, broadband & landline etc.
Users can load up their paytm wallet for free and use it to make payments at over 21 million stores, websites and apps.
- Set up reminders for your due bills.
- Easily set up auto payments and one tap payment of your bills
- Pay more than 50 bills and recharge more than 20 services
- Earn incredible rewards everytime you make a payments with the paytm app
#4. Amazon Pay
- Download Amazon Pay app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 4.5
Amazon Pay is backed by Amazon, the leading marketplace of the world offering numerous services in various sectors.
In 2016, Amazon began its operations in India as a prepaid wallet service, and soon in 2016 it launched its Amazon Pay UPI in India.
With Amazon Pay UPI, users can easily make payments for their daily purchases, including recharges and bill payments, without entering bank or debit card credentials everytime they make a payment.
Every customer transaction on Amazon Pay is secured through mobile device verification as well as UPI pin.
- Fast and safe online payments with Amazon pay UPI
- Load cash instantly into Amazon Pay wallet, & enjoy the convenience of one-click payments, faster refunds
- Monitor your spends by visiting balance statements under your account
- Support multiple languages for non-English users.
#5. Mobikwik App
- Download Mobikwik app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 4.3
Founded in 2009, Mobikwik payment App is a mobile phone – based payment system and digital wallets in India.
Customers can easily add the money to the wallet and use it to make payments.
Mobikwik app facilitates its users to send and receive money via the phone number, or bank account directly or make UPI payments via BHIM UPI.
Along with that users can make instant transfers of money to all banks, or from bank to bank, wallet to wallet & card to bank.
- Simplest and quickest mode of payment, where the payment can be made instantly by just entering the PIN.
- Enables users to make bill payments, credit card payments, offline QR payments, online payments, mobile recharges etc.
- With supercash, and loyalty points save upto ₹1000 per month.
- Make transactions at 1 Million+ brands like IRCTC, Zomato, Swiggy, Xiomi etc.
#6. BHIM App
- Download BHIM app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 4.5
Incorporated in 2016, BHIM app is an Indian Mobile payments app developed by NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India) based on UPI.
BHIM UPI app was intended to facilitate e-payments directly through the banks & to encourage cashless transactions.
Anyone with a bank account, registered mobile no, & debit card can use BHIM UPI.
In October, 2022, about 25 million transactions worth INR 8508 Cr+ took place via BHIM app.
- Safe, easy & instant digital payments.
- Personalize your app homescreen according to you.
- Support about 20 Languages for the local users.
- Send or receive payments via Aadhar authentication.
#7. HDFC Payzapp
- Download HDFC Payzapp app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 3.9
HDFC Payzapp is the other top digital wallets and mobile UPI payments app in India launched by HDFC bank in 2015.
The digital wallet & UPI platform by HDFC was launched with the aim to contribute to the vision of the Govt. of India to digitize the economy.
Users can easily link their bank account & create UPI handle to make instant payments at shops, online shopping, ticket booking, online food delivery etc.
Payzapp app by HDFC is a complete solution for all your payments which gives you the power to pay in just one-click.
- Go cashless with instant money transfers.
- Make bill payments with 130+ billers listed on the app
- Attractive offers and deals on bookings, shoppings etc.
- Pay all your utility bills, including electricity, gas, water, cylinder, broadband, landline etc.
#8. Freecharge App
- Download Freecharge app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 4.3
Founded in 2010, Freecharge is one of the leading digital wallets and UPI payment apps in India.
This Gurugram based platform provides its users all the services from recharges & bill payments to investment and lending.
With Freecharge, users can easily create their UPI ID & use it to send money, or scan any QR to pay quickly and securely at any store.
Also the app rates its users with FIST score to give’em complete clarity of their financial health.
- send/receive money in/from your bank account.
- Shop offline/online with just one tap.
- Earn cashback & rewards on your transactions.
- Claim exclusive offers/deals on top brands.
#9. Bajaj Finserv App
- Download Bajaj Finserv app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 4.8
Headquartered in Pune, Bajaj Finserv is an Indian non-banking financial services firm.
Their “digital wallets & UPI payments app” Bajaj Finserv, makes all your bills payments easy, and caters your financial needs / relations.
The app users can simply load money in their Bajaj pay wallet to make in-store and online payments with a single click.
Bajaj Finserv “Digital wallets and UPI app” facilitates you to pay hospital bills, education fees, credit card bills etc. via Bajaj Pay UPI.
- Send / receive money from one bank to another in a matter of seconds with UPI.
- Earn bajaj coins which can be redeemed later to buy vouchers, or encash in your wallet.
- Access best deals and offers with in-app programs.
- Earn cashbacks for bill payments and get them instantly credited into your bajaj finserv e-wallet.
#10. Bhim Axis Pay
- Download Bhim Axis pay app from the Google Play Store/Apple Store
- Rating : 3.8
The next app in the list of best digital wallets & UPI apps in India is Bhim Axis Pay.
Users can get started with the services by just registering on the platform & linking their bank account.
Once linked, they can just quote their UPI ID instead of your bank account and IFSC code for instant money transfers.
Bhim Axis Pay App allows its customers to do UPI payments, instant money transfers, mobile recharges & DTH recharges etc.
All the transactions are authenticated by two factor authentication.
- Transfer money from any bank to any bank instantly using smartphone
- Phone & DTH recharge online.
- Make merchants purchase with ease.
- Check your bank account balance by just entering your UPI PIN.